Sunday, May 25, 2008

science olympiad

Yesterday I spent over six hours preparing for a trial event for science olympiad. The event is called tip the scale. Personally I think a trial event is not worth an entire Saturday if it does not help our team. I also was not happy that I had to cram it in to one Saturday. I just can not wait to go and get science olympiad over with. I really to don’t care about the trial events I am just going and getting it over with so I can enjoy myself a little. I am glad that I am almost done with all of my homework.

Yesterday I had to build a scale. It is basically it is a wooden structure with an aluminum meter stick, which is the arm, that holds the two trays. It took about five hours to build. It would of have been faster but. we had to keep tweaking the design so the scale would actually work. We had to make our own weights because we can not use weights that were made and equal to a certain weight. We basically had to tape things together to make them equal a certain weight.

It is one thing to build the scale you have to be able to make accurate observation. In the event we will have two minutes to weigh the unknown object. It is not easy to measure with this kind of scale. It takes great practice to use this scale. So tomorrow I have to go and practice using the scale so I am ready for the competition. I hope that tomorrow I will not be there that long. I am also in charge of getting the scale to Washington DC. Hopefully I can just fit it into my suit case.

I am so excited for the trip though. I can not wait for the site seeing. The thing I am waiting to see the most is the Washington monument. In side the pillar there are actually things written on the blocks, like this block was donated by this person. There is also an observation room in the top of the pillar. I also can not wait for the aerospace museum. There are things like actual rockets that they use for space travel that have not been used. There are also the command modules from the Apollo program. Really cool place to go.

I can not wait for the school year to be over. I can not wait to start my summer plans. I have a lot of camping planed. I also have books lined up to read. Some of them are books I am required to read and some that I want to read. I also want to do some fishing and some photography. I hope to do a lot more than I did last summer. Last summer my day consisted of waking up about nine in the morning, watch TV, play video games, do stuff on the computer, eat, and then go to bed.

No comments: