Sunday, April 20, 2008

Washington DC

I can not wait to go to Washington DC. There are so many things that I want to see and do. We leave on May 30 and we will be there for about six days. It would be nice to stay longer but hotel rooms are real expensive. And it sometimes takes a few days to look at one site. I am sad that we will not be able to see the museum of natural history because it is closed for renovation. I can not wait for the trip it will be so fun. I am sad that I will miss the last two days of school but it is worth it.

There are so many places on my to see list. I want to visit all of the government buildings and all the monuments and other things there are to see. One place I can not wait to see is the aerospace museum. It is cool because they have the command modules of each program. They also have life size models of things off the space shuttle and other things like the lunar module. I also want to go to the Smithsonian. I would also like to see things like the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

Then there are all of the monuments and memorials. I can not wait to see the Washington monument. Most people think that it is just a tower but there is a lot of things on the inside and you can take an elevator up to the top and look through the observation windows. Then of course there is the Lincoln memorial that you have to see. Then there are other presidential monuments you have to see like the Jefferson and FDR memorials. Then there is the Holocaust museum that people say is a depressing thing to go and look at.

Washington DC is not what most people think it is. It is a very run down town and there is a lot of crime that goes on there. Most people think that it is a good city because in movies they only show you the good part of town which is where the government buildings and monuments are. When you are there you do not want to go out and walk the streets at night because there are a lot of muggers and it is just a scary place. You are usually safe during the day and then the town is a good place to be, but once it is dark you really want to stay in side. It does not matter to me because it is okay to be out at night if you stay in Virginia.

Washington DC is like New York a little they do have a lot of traffic. They have a Metro train and, I am not sure, but I think it is like the light rails in Salt Lake. This is what we will use and our hotel is only two blocks away from a station. It does go out of Washington DC and into bordering areas, which is why we can stay a little of the way into Virginia because the line we are next to can takes us strait to the monuments and government buildings. It will be a fun trip and I can not wait to go.

No comments: