Sunday, December 23, 2007

Eagle

Yesterday I received my Eagle rank badge. A lot of people think they have until your 18 years old. You can not decide a month before your 18th birthday because by then its two late. Plus you miss out on opportunities for other awards. So it is best to get your Eagle at a younger age. For me I can not decide what to do next. Well it is important to get your Eagle, but it is also better if you earn more awards. It’s better if you get at least three Eagle palms. For those who do not know, a palm is an additional award you can only get after you have received your Eagle.

I also received a lot of gifts last night. I was given a statue of an Eagle, a ring, and a key chain that was from the world Jamboree. There is a lot of stuff from the scout office that they give to you for receiving your Eagle.
As I mentioned earlier I can not decide what to do next. I have plenty of options to choose from. There is the Leave No Trace award, I could get my religious emblem, I could get my Eagle palms. The first one is the Leave no trace award which has to do with leaving a campsite cleaner then it was before. To get this award you have to recite and explain the principles of leave no trace, practice it on three camp outs, earn camping and environmental science merit badges, participate in a related service project, and a presentation. For a religious emblem you have to talk to a leader in your church and they tell you the requirements. Palms you just have to earn five merit badges, do a little service project, and you have to wait three months after receiving your eagle or last palm. Of course there are other awards I could get that would be hard. The life saving one is really hard because obviously you have to save a life. The other hard one to get is the William T. Hornaday awards because you have to do a service project to influence the environment.

You can also join the Order Of The Arrow, or OA for short. To join the OA you have to be on 20 camp outs spanning a two year period and be nominated by your troop to do it. I have a long time before I turn 18 so I could probably earn a lot of the awards I mentioned. I will show you pictures of what some of the awards look like. The first picture are the eagle palms which are earned in that order, bronze gold silver. Do not ask me why they are in that order because that is just the order you earn them in. The next picture is the bronze statue of the eagle I received. The gold plate says my name and December 22, 2007. The statue is not solid bronze it is just made to look like bronze. I hope I have inspired some of you boys who have not received their eagles to hurry up and get a move on!

2 comments:

Panda Girl said...

Awesome! Good job!!!! :D

Lots of Keys said...

Wow... Makes me almost wish I would have stayed in scouts... Meh, oh well. And nice man, very good.